Connect to a piping system that takes the waste to a centralized treatment facility.
Treatment Level: Primary
Relative Cost: varies by situation (generally includes connection fee & monthly bill)
Amount of Maintenance Interaction: low
Beneficial Byproduct: none
- No on-site treatment is needed: “out of site, out of mind.”
- Typically government operated and maintained.
- Benefits of water efficiency upgrades will be directly reflected in a reduced utility bill.
- Sanitary sewer connection fees.
- Utility bills (typically based on water consumption).
- Lose potential to reuse nutrients & water from on-site treatment
- Must have water for flushing
Operation & Maintenance
- Done by municipal staff.
Blackwater vs Graywater?
- Can treat both in combination.
Secondary Treatment Options
- None needed.
- This option takes up the least amount of space and provides the greatest freedom from concerns regarding waste treatment.